Sunday, February 13, 2011

How "Connection" Erodes Intimacy

The perceived need to be constantly connected to all of your friends is becoming a problem for face-to-face, personal, and private interactions. The networked public has brought about a general shift in attitudes -- what was once private is now public, and nothing is off-limits. The social networking technologies have even seeped into one of the most private aspects of a person's social life -- their love life.

About a week before finals began in the Fall 2010 semester, a new social network emerged, quietly at first, but then spread like wildfire. I'm talking about LikeALittle. LikeALittle is formatted similar to Twitter, and it has separate pages for different college campuses across the country. The basic concept behind LikeALittle is to provide a space for students to "flirt" anonymously with other students. Here you can see the example that is auto-populated on Clark's homepage:

Who wouldn't want to receive a message like that?

After a "flirt" is posted, other students can comment anonymously on it, and users can choose to "like" a post, or even send a private message to the author. Personally, I think it's a brilliant idea! It allows shy students to flirt with other students in their "native language," via the Internet. The site has exploded since December 2010, and I would not be surprised if they released a smartphone application soon. They are constantly hiring new staff.

Most of the posts on LikeALittle are innocent enough. Some examples include: "laughter is the best cure, and you're so good at it. i'd be your girl, if you just noticed it," and "Cute tallish one. I've seen you glancing :) Come say hi already!" However, some of the posts can get inappropriate quickly, which is why LikeALittle recruits moderators to make sure everything stays lighthearted and fun.

Students can use LikeALittle to say things they normally wouldn't in person.

Although I love the idea, I admit it becomes a little problematic. Whatever happened to passing a note across the classroom, or hesitantly asking someone to go see a movie? Sites like LikeALittle make those first romantic interactions less serious, and somehow less real. Because it is completely anonymous, its users are more likely to post things they would not say straight to that person's face.

The LikeALittle creators are taking advantage of the ideas of blurred boundaries, because they know they can reach their target audience at any moment. LikeALittle has also linked with Facebook, which is a smart strategy. By connecting their site to Facebook, the creators of LikeALittle can tap into the network of Joiners (using Groundswell terminology) and encourage them to become Creators or Critics.

The LikeALittle authors have established a community, much like Procter & Gamble's beinggirl.com. Their community was established around the problems young girls face every day. LikeALittle was established around the problems faced by shy students who want to meet new people. Since LikeALittle is not selling a product, they don't run the risk of shouting at their users.

If only it were that easy! (Source: http://globalthoughtz.com)

Personally, given the choice to make an anonymous "flirt" on LikeALittle or to actually speak to my crush in person, I would choose the offline interaction. Because LikeALittle is anonymous, the chances of your crush actually figuring out who you are are slim to none. If you seriously want to try and go on a date or even start a relationship, LikeALittle is not the way to go.

9 comments:

  1. I was also aware of this LikeALittle website a few months ago when it was really popular around campus. I thought it was so entertaining to read, since some of the posts are obviously fake. But at the same time, some people are really hoping to find that person they missed by posting on this website...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the iPhone "face time" feature. I don't have an iPhone but many of my friends do. One time my friend turned to me and told me that she wished that I had an iPhone too so that we could face time, staring back at her I told her that I had face time and that we were "face timing" right then. She didn't get it until I had to explain that we were speaking face to face in person lol.

    As far as LikeALittle, I definitely think it is a cute idea, however there are some serious problems with it. One of my friends kept being brought up on LikeALittle (we knew it was her because of nicknames used and locations). At first the comments were cute and flattering, however after awhile they grew increasingly vulgar. Originally flattered, she actually started to become somewhat frightened and insecure. I know that LikeALittle does have moderators, however with so many posts, some definitely slip through the cracks and this can have terrible consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've heard of LikeALittle. What an interesting concept! It reminds me a bit of JuicyCampus, a site that was popular at my undergrad campus for a few months until my school's IT dept blocked access to it. JuicyCampus was a place for students to post rumors and rants about their school. I can see colleges blocking access to LikeALittle if the site begins to offend students (like what happened to JuicyCampus) because like Cassandra said, offense posts can slip through the cracks. It's still an interesting website, although I agree with you - offline interaction is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chantal - yes, it's very similar to JuicyCampus. We had that here too, but ITS blocked it because it was giving people viruses. I could definitely see how LaL could devolve into something similar, but I hope it doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend was obsessed with this site for some reason and then again she has a crush at Clark. She is completely in love with this guy and it is so obvious that I even think her crush knows.

    I could never use LikeALittle because 1)stalkerish, 2)anonymous online flirting leads to nothing, and 3)a waste of time when you can actually find real ways to meet and interact with your crush.

    I wonder if sites like LikeALittle will make it harder for shyer people to express themselves in reality. Face-to-Face relationships and having genuine relationships with people is still important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Emily. The topic is interesting for me. This is the first time I've heard of LikeALittle. I am so surprised about people can "flirt" this way. What a amazing concept. However, I still prefer to do it privately. Reality would never change. People still have to face-to-face interactions in the relationships. Good luck for everybody!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creative post, Emily. I feel bad for people who spend their time "flirting" on these websites. They may have better luck going to e-harmony or match.com. Although, face-to-face communication is best when it comes to these kind of things, some people have anxiety during social interactions especially the more intimate they become. LikeALittle may allow some people to interact in a way they never would in real life and if it makes them feel good then all the power to them. However, I am not sure if they will get their fairy tale ending with this one. To each their own I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so out of the loop - I have never heard of this. I know about match and eharmony and know some people who have had success with it, however, I agree that we have lost something by using online sites for dating and getting to know each other. I guess I'm just old fashion and prefer the excitement of the face-to-face courting stage!

    ReplyDelete